Thursday, December 20, 2012

Number One: Feed by M.T Anderson

Feed is about a teenage boy named Titus. Titus like many people in the world, he has a "feed," a computer chip implanted in his brain. This computer chip is everything; Titus knows how to read and write because of it. The "feed" also helps him think and helps his brain do normal things like walk. The "feed" is an important part of American life and society, one is excluded from main-stream society if one does not have a "feed". But when Titus meets a girl named Violet, his life style is challenged and things change. She is the girl "who decides to fight the feed."

When I first started reading this book I did not understand where the author was going with the story and the "big picture" point he was trying to make. It frustrated me, so much that I had leave the book alone for a couple of days. Also the fact that the diction of the narrator was driving me up a wall. I understood why Anderson chose Titus to have the language diction that he did, but what puzzled me was how I felt that the story was not going anywhere. I did not understand why my professor felt the need for me to read this book. I did not like that the story was moving slow nor the fact that everything on the planet earth was died except for humans and the beaches could only be visited if one was wearing a hazmat suit. But I kept reading I knew it was important for me to finish the book and indeed it was.The end of the book paralyzed me, I sat staring at the T.V. Just staring and then I cried on the outside (which rarely happens), tears rolled down my face. The book changed me. I will never be the same again. I love and hate this book. I cannot explain my reasoning, yet. But I would recommend everyone I know to read it.

Quotes:

The discussion on page 125 about the cutting down of trees, hurts. I could not live in a world without trees. I would die.

"Schooltm is run by the corporations...it teaches us how the world can be used, like mainly how to use our feeds...it's good because that we way we know that the big corps are made up of real human beings, and not just jerks out for money, because taking care of children, they care about America's future. It's an investment in tomorrow." Page 109-110

"'We Americans,' he said, 'are interested only in the consumption of our products. we have no interest in how they were produced, or what happens to them...what happens to them once we discard them, once we throw then away." Page 290



No comments:

Post a Comment